As TypeScript and static typing increasingly becomes a best practice in web programming, the API presents a major pain point. We need better ways to statically type our API endpoints and share those types between our client and server (or server-to-server).
Currently GraphQL is the dominant way to implement typesafe APIs in TypeScript (and it's amazing!). Since GraphQL is designed as a language-agnostic specification for implementing APIs, it doesn't take full advantage of the power of a language like TypeScript - further reading.
If your project is built with full-stack TypeScript, you can share types directly between your client and server, without relying on code generation.
We set out to build a simple library for building typesafe APIs that leverages the full power of modern TypeScript. Introducing tRPC! Featuring:
- 🧙♂️ Full static typesafety & autocompletion on the client - on request inputs, outputs, & errors.
- 🐎 Snappy DX. No code generation, runtime bloat, or build pipeline.
- 🍃 Light. tRPC has zero deps and a tiny client-side footprint.
- 🐻 Easy to add to your existing brownfield project.
- 🔋 Batteries included. React-library + Next.js/Express adapters. (But tRPC is not tied to React - reach out if you want to make a Svelte/Vue/... lib)
- 🥃 Simple to use APIs for queries, mutations, & subscriptions support.
- ⚡️ Request batching - requests made at the same time can be automatically combined
- 👀 Quite a few Example Apps that you can use for reference or as a starting point.
- ✅ Well-tested & running in production.